[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Friday, December 16, 2005

discussion and conversation on the mind

I've heard it said that the quickest way to kill a blog is just not post, and unfortunately this time of year for me is difficult for me to avoid. I tried to flesh out something I've been rolling around in my mind, but unfortunately its still very unpolished. So for now I will say, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year!

As my present to you, here's a sneak peek at what I've been thinking about, feel free to leave your two cents on the topic.

When we discuss our faith with other, whether Christian or not, how does the way we approach the conversation affect the outcome? Different generations have different models of discussion, some are logic based, some are philosophical, still others are just gut impressions. How do we incorporate how we live our life into the discussion, and show the fruits of our faith? What happens when we don't show our faith, but instead explain our faith? Entering a conversation, are we willing to pick up the other person's point of view and try it on? Are we willing to have conversations about areas and ideas that we are not comfortable with or perhaps have never thought about before? I believe there is a fundamental difference in the way emerging generations think and approach a conversation versus older "modern" generations (i.e. non-postmodern/non-emerging). Understanding that difference is the start of bridging that communications gap.

2 comments:

December 17, 2005 7:43 AM , Debi:

Hey Jamie!

I'll say that since I've been hurt so much in my life - (most of the deepest hurts at the hands of well meaning "christians") - I NEVER try to push my belief onto others. I work my best to live my life as Christ would want me to live it. Am I always successful? No - I'm human and fail all the time. I rely on the Holy Spirit to move within the person I've spoken with - despite any mistakes I may have made - if any spiritual change is to occur in his/her life. Afterall, I believe He uses us to His will all the time - we're just not necessarily aware of it all the time.

When discussing faith, I simply share my views - in a non-threatening way, and without coming across as having an "I know the truth and you don't - whatever you say is wrong" attitude. Likewise, I'm always open to hear the other persons views as well. That doesn't mean that I accept what they say, but I don't immediately shut the door to listening. This approach, for me, is a direct result of most of my deepest past hurts being from well meaning, well intentioned 'christians' being close-minded and judgemental of me.

Anyway, that's my two cents! Good stuff! I'm anxious to hear what else you have to say about this when you get it all ironed out in your mind.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you too!

 

December 18, 2005 11:09 AM , Anonymous:

Jamie,
Enjoyed our conversation last night at the party. You have a good blog, good readers.

Just thought I might ad that Ralph Waldo Emerson says a great deal on the issues you and your readers are pondering.His work has inspired millions of seekers for over 150 years, they have always inspired me. I've always considered him a secular prophet. Having great faith means never having to defend it to anyone, especially to yourself. Faith is simply knowing that everything is taken care of; because you have enough faith to believe that it will be. (I said that)

Check out these references:
Circles, Spiritual Law, The Oversoul. Law of Compensation,
R.W.Emerson Essays 1st and 2nd series.