[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

the saga begins

Nope, this isn't a random post about Star Wars, though I have been known to throw a couple of those in from time to time. This is about mustering the troops and circling the wagons. In other words, the very first ReGroup gathering is happening this weekend. Obviously, the first ever meeting will be a bit structured since there is some housekeeping to take care of -- primarily explaining what exactly is going on.

You see, the people who are going to be a part of this pilot experiment don't really know what to expect because they came to me with concerns and requests, from which I cobbled together this concept. From one person came the concern about lack of faith and lack of answers to tough questions, while another is fed up with the lack of meaning in an existing church community. I was asked to put together a Bible study by one, and told that I should start a new church by yet another. I will be pulling together these people, with widely varying stories and stages of faith, and nurturing a community. However, I have to first explain to everyone what crackpot ideas I came up with and what exactly this "ReGroup" thing is. I have some book excerpts to read, some scriptures to share, some questions to discuss, and in the end an informal poll to take. The idea is to introduce the idea of what our community is going to be and the limitless possibilities for where we can take it. Once that is covered, I can finish up by asking each person some of their specific questions they'd like to explore, topics they'd like to discuss, and activities they'd like to organize... you get the idea. Basically, the first meeting is really an introduction and information gathering session. But, don't get me wrong, if some of the exploratory discussion questions really ramp up, then we can throw away script and riff.

I'm excited and just a little nervous -- the nerves are mostly because I hope they don't all think I'm nuts when I unveil this rather unconventional idea instead of some other expectation they might have. We shall see...

3 comments:

November 14, 2006 10:45 PM , Anonymous:

I'm excited about this venture, and hopeful.
And I don't think you're nuts. I will be praying for success.

 

November 16, 2006 12:06 PM , Anonymous:

James,

I too am excited about this venture you and others are embarking upon. My prayers are with you, that God will bless the venture and for the success of things. Success in this case is that each one's needs will be met, whatever they are, and that each will grow and mature. Good Luck!
Jim

 

November 17, 2006 10:55 PM , Kathy:

Wow! This weekend is launch time! I continue to pray for your venture and adventure with ReGroup. The concept begins to take a bit more form now. It looks as though each one of the groups will be unique in make up, demographics, needs to be filled and how the group will keep in contact, much like a family would.

Your idea of keeping the group to those in close proximity of each other is great. I'm really looking forward to hearing how your first group responds and begins to take form.

Kathy