[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

video game morality

In the recent past I decided to try out the game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which was the highly acclaimed RPG video game of 2004. At first I figured it would be like many other video games that I have played, which would eventually lead to my loss of interest before I got very far. This time however, I was wrong... what an addictive game! Solving puzzles, interacting with other characters, making decisions that affect your characters alignment towards the light side or dark side. Every decision and interaction you have during the quests changes slightly the way you relate to the other members of your band of heroes. How you act as an individual to solve problems can alter the fate of entire populations... it's a game that hinges on all the personal choices you make for your character.

I decided that I would play through the game trying to follow the light side. Every opportunity I got I chose to help others that were in need or less fortunate, and I never thought of asking for a reward even if my character was running low on cash. It may have been just a game, but it was fun and felt good to have the respect and thanks of total strangers in the game because of my choice to be so selfless and generous. I ended up beating the game, with the help of a few online guides to help me through the tough spots, and my character beat back the forces of evil and aided countless individuals and many civilizations.

However, since the game's ending and interactions can change depending on whether you choose to follow the light side or dark side, I decided that I should play the game choosing the dark side so I could see what happens... I still haven't finished the game! It's been almost 3 months, and its not because the game got harder... I don't enjoy the game quite as much. It almost pains me to choose the dark side options, to think that I could ever choose such cruelty or lack of compassion is just appalling. It's not exactly a moral compass, but it does makes you think. The choices you can make in the game range from pure evil to completely selfless and good, with self-centered, indifferent, and casually helpful all smattered in there. I still play from time to time, and I mindlessly check the guide for the choices I should make to become the all-powerful dark lord that becomes bent on galactic conquest... but I am not as engaged in the game as I was the first time since the choices are not the ones I would make. From time to time I keep thinking to myself, just this once I could help these people, eventually I'll get back to the dark side stuff. Trying to play the role of a power-hungry, greedy, egotistical person just doesn't sit well with me... good thing it's a game.

It may be just a game, but it does spell a few things out clearly. Strip away the cultural context of the here and now, and get down and dirty with the fundamental struggles with good and evil. It strips away the comfortable, known environment that you are used to and faces you with situations you will never exactly be in. Sure, you may never come across an alien being verbally and physically abused by human teens... but you might come across a minority (Arab, Asian, etc) being harassed by some racially prejudiced people - would you walk away, join in, or come to the aid of the person being harassed?

Star Wars may be a fictional universe... but the games and movies illustrate how the actions and decisions of a few can vastly impact the lives and attitudes of the world around them.

0 comments: