[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

knocking yourself down a notch

As seems to be my modus operandi, posting about a spiritual high is always followed by some form of humbling spiritual insight. Since as it is often said from the pulpit, "all fall short," don't let it be said that I ever claimed exception. The reason I am putting myself out here for self-flagellation is that I finally finished reading John Burke's No Perfect People Allowed, and I have a multitude of reactions to the book. My first reaction is joy and hope at reading about a church community (Gateway Community Church)that is making an impact with my generation. However, that is quickly followed up by mild depression at the realization that nothing like that exists in my neck of the woods, at least nothing that I have found. The closest would probably be my friend's church, though the demographic they have is different and it is about 3 hours away. The reason I start to feel down is because through my recent stretch of personal spiritual formation, I am coming to realize my great need for community - I miss interacting with people. But obviously, anyone following my escapades from the beginning will know that I've run into some groups that for some reason result in each of us rubbing the other the wrong way. So far, when I happen to be in town and am not on-call on Sunday, I head over to Farmington. I get along with people there, but I don't seem to be able to make it there as often as I like. Not that I've been there enough to emphatically state anything about them, but I feel they need a vision to strive for, something that will shake up the way they operate. Maybe if I can get my life organized and stabilized, I can throw my $0.02 out there for them and see what they think...

Thank you to all you who actually stop by and read this stuff, it's nice to know that I'm not crazy and that sometimes what I say makes sense. I consider you my virtual church community.

0 comments: