[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Thursday, June 22, 2006

i'm not a parent but

Something about this article just trips my "common sense" alarm.

TV's can kill, study says

I don't mean to be crass and uncaring about children, as one day I plan on having some myself, but I think there are better things to be doing than adding more idiot-proofing to consumer products. One would think that the concept of children climbing on or around a television should set off a parenting alarm in most people. Rule #1: TV's are not furniture, as such don't sit on them, climb on them or otherwise attempt to misuse them. Rule #2: Most TV's are heavy, and thus should be afforded some level of caution when moving or in the "I might bump it" proximity of one. While I think it is tragic that children are being hurt from unstable TV's, but I wholeheartedly ascribe to the real life experience learning method. This method follows this logic: there is nothing dangerous to children in keeping a large, heavy TV on a wobbly or unstable piece of furniture -- when you tell them not to touch the TV they should understand its for their own benefit. If they so choose to pull the TV on top of them a few times... they'll learn not to do that. This also applies to hot stoves, electrical outlets, and pets.

Of course you should know, that yes I am being snarky and perhaps sarcastic, I would never leave dangerous objects or anything lying about for children to be hurt by. However, the concept of parental supervision and discipline is something I think is falling by the wayside in the U.S. I mean seriously, we should strap down our televisions because they are heavy and often weighted towards the front?!?! I swear, if this grows beyond the current level of media coverage to the point of legislative lobbying for regulation I will go insane. Some days I truly believe that we are dumbing down society in America... I might need to put a big, flashy, unavoidable warning label on this blog so people who don't want to examine some of the more philosophical and spiritual aspects of their life aren't harmed by reading the material it contains.

Thus endeth the rant....
Cheers!

0 comments: