[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Friday, October 06, 2006

all about books

I was "tagged" to answer these questions, and so without any ado, here they are with my answers...

A book that changed my life: I would have to say, that in recent memory a book that has changed my life would be A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren. The main reason is because in reading it, I saw a reflection of some of my own struggles with questions for which I didn't know the answers or had developed unconventional answers. After reading that book, I began my current book binge that includes a much healthier mix of NY Times best-sellers, Star Wars novels, and new Christian authors.

A book I’ve read more than once: Surprisingly, there are very few books that I've read more than once, primarily because I have a fairly decent memory for a book's major plot line once I've read it. After that the reading becomes a refresher course in the details. However, I have read I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole a couple of times, and I'm about halfway through A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren for the second reading.

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island: As a nod to a comedian I once heard, Ardal O'Hanlon; "She asked me for two books I'd take with me to a desert island, and I didn't like the threat implied in the question. I said that the first would be a big, inflatable book, and the second would be How to make oars out of sand." Honestly though, I think I would hope that before becoming stranded on a desert island that I had in my possession a copy of either The Lord of the Rings, or the original Star Wars trilogy (both of which are available with the entire trilogy in a single volume).

A book that made me laugh: I know I've read a couple, but I can't remember which ones, but basically any Dave Barry book is hilarious. I also love his articles at the Miami Herald.

A book that I wish had been written: "Facing the Truth: Realizing you can't be right about everything all the time and learning that this is okay"

A book that I wish had never been written: Honestly, I can't think of a book that I disliked enough to wish its existence undone. I try to only read books that I feel will be a good read, or that friends have recommended. Although I will say, The Fingerprint of God by Hugh Ross nearly put me to sleep and Hard Times by Charles Dickens DID put me to sleep. I wouldn't necessarily wish they never were written though.

A book I’ve been meaning to read: I actually have a few on my site here already, but I will add here Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith by Rob Bell. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I now have a copy of it (thanks Allen!). I just need to find time to read it.

I’m currently reading: I'm still reading Emerging Churches (by Gibbs & Bolger), and I am about to start The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. I also have A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren, which when I am in-between books I pick up and continue reading my way through for a second time. While I could also start up Velvet Elvis, I'm going to wait until I finish Emerging Churches... and I am getting a craving for a good Star Wars series, which I have not been reading lately – I think picking up where I left off in the New Jedi Order series is probably in order.

I’m Tagging the Following Bloggers to answer these questions:
Anyone who reads my blog and feels like answering the questions.

I'm not big on chain mail or chain email forwards, I always "break" them. Why should I be any different with this chain blog topic? So feel free to take these questions back to your own blog to answer or if you don't have a blog and want to respond, leave your answers in a comment. If you do answer them at your blog, please drop me a comment letting me know; I'd love to read what books influence you.

1 comments:

October 06, 2006 10:08 PM , Kathy:

Hey Jaime,

There's a response to this entry on my wee blog, http://beauangelkitty.blogspot.com/

come visit anytime you have a moment.

I'm still mulling all that was shared at the Lectureship. Thank you so much and am looking forward to hearing about the newest developments in reGroup.

In the Light of His love, grace and mercy

Kathy