[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

love and obedience

So, some of my discussions over at A New Kind of Conversation have recently turned towards the roles of love and obedience in spiritual formation. While I tend to struggle with the full impact of obedience in a Christian life, I relate well to the concept of loving as a Christian. I like to come at the question, "what does is mean or look like to follow Jesus," from the angle of love as opposed to obedience. To me, and probably many others, obedience on the surface just feels like a power issue, perhaps bringing to mind the image of a drill sergeant barking orders. Deep down I know that's not what it means from a Christian perspective, but not everyone we come into contact has that same perspective. So in my mind, spiritual formation becomes a process by which we cultivate our faith with love. Behind any step, any facet of spiritual formation (such as the 7 elements proposed by Brian McLaren) there must exist some level of love for God and Jesus, or else why would any formation or transformation take place?

Anyway, before I ramble on too long, I wanted to point you to Mike Lewis' latest blog entry. I think he explains well some of the thought process that goes into why I feel love is a stronger force in spiritual formation than obedience (though both go hand-in-hand). By telling someone about Jesus, you are obeying. By showing someone Jesus, you are loving. It's a minor difference with a major impact.

So, They Don't Believe In Absolute Truth? -- Mike Lewis

Enjoy!

2 comments:

September 20, 2005 12:00 PM , Debi:

I've always believed these statements and have tried (I stress tried) to live my life in this manner.

"So instead of telling people about Jesus, we should be showing them Jesus.
Instead of telling people how they should live, we should be modeling a "Christ life-style."
Instead of telling people what is right and wrong, we should be living rightly.
Instead of inviting people "to church," we should be the church.
Instead of forcing commitment out of people, we should be finding friendship in people.
Instead of being an exclusive club, we should invite all to join us.
Instead of forcing belief, we should help people belong."

I personally don't agree with always 'searching people out' in the old way of searching them out to be members of a church. (Basically the way I was raised to do.) I DO believe in being an example in the way I live my life, and letting God work in the other person's life ... (where I was a tool for planting a seed for Him along the way.)

 

September 20, 2005 4:18 PM , James:

Excellent points Josh, and part of the reason I think that people involved with an emerging church movement are considering themselves something of a post-postmodern. We question everything, but recognize that in some cases there are absolutes.

We want to be relational, but we want to leave room for personal contemplation. We encourage education, but remain open to experiences. These kinds of both/and, not either/or, aspects of our spirituality are being incorporated into the way we approach our spiritual formation.

I am both energized and challenged at the same time when I get into these deeply spiritual conversations. I have a tendency to find myself inspired by new insights, and yet convicted of my shortcomings. Keeps me humble yet upbeat knowing that I struggle, but not alone.