[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Monday, March 13, 2006

dinner conversations

I really can't put my finger on the reason why certain books really resonate with me, though it probably has some relation to a deep seated need for whatever topic they touch on. While not the longest book I've read by any stretch of the imagination, David Gregory's Dinner with a Perfect Stranger: An Invitation Worth Considering is a great read. If you read anything like me, you can devour this spiritually charged novel in less than an afternoon (I believe it took me somewhere around 2 hours or less to burn through the 100 pages it consists of).

As a quick jump over to Amazon can inform you, the book revolves around Nick Cominsky, a workaholic insurance executive who receives an invitation to dinner with Jesus of Nazareth. While he resolves to go under the impression that his colleagues are pulling a joke on him, he instead finds himself face to face with Jesus of Nazareth (looking rather dapper in a business suit), whom patiently entertains all of Nick's attempts to uncover him as a fake or part of a personalized hoax. Once they come to an agreement to suspend disbelief as to whether Jesus is who he claims, the story takes covers a lot of ground. The conversation moves about from grace and redemption, to faith and organized religion, and provides some unique visualizations along the way - including using some Star Trek to make a point.

Personally, I find the interactions in the book quite thought-provoking. Since I have a penchant for free-thinking and spiritual conversation while dining out, I liked the format and the focus on personal relationship that permeated the book. Since I wouldn't count myself as a seasoned book reviewer, all I can really say is that I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone. Again, there is just something that resonates with me in certain books, and often I can't describe the feelings they leave me with... perhaps it's hope.

0 comments: