[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

gifts and leadership

Some people have told me I have a gift for leadership, and they usually follow that up with a comment about my easy-going nature, communication skills, big picture vision, or something along those lines as the reason. I find that very odd, because many times I would rather nominate someone else take point while I stand in the shadows offering advice and assistance from time to time. Don't get me wrong, if I were called to lead something, I would do my best in the role. However, I'd rather it worked out like a military field promotion: picking up the lead role in the midst of a operation because my commanding officer was rendered unconscious, but then relieved of command once the mission is accomplished and everyone is safely back at base camp.

Luckily, in the world that exists in my mind, leadership is not a one-dimensional concept. Leadership does not merely imply possessing skills to be a leader, it also takes the form of mentoring, the ability to influence a group, communicating a vision, acting as a guide, or even taking responsibility to take action. In other words, there are different types and levels of leadership. Stereotypically, a leader fits the mold of our hero archetype: charismatic, visionary, action-oriented, and intelligent. They are the singular leaders who can inspire loyalty and ensure victory be they generals, CEO's, or ministers. However, beneath the glossy veneer of that level of leadership hides another more important layer of leaders, the ones who take on specialized tasks and provide their expertise to those who require it. They are the ones that lead from the margins.

Len Hjalmarson has been writing an excellent series of articles for The Ooze entitled Leading from the Margins, in which a broad spectrum of topics are covered that all revolve around the subtleties, forms, and styles of Christian leadership. I won't pretend that what I am writing directly relates the articles, but I really liked the title and the picture it forms in my mind. To me, leading from the margins implies a form of leadership where your contributions directly affect the overall direction of the group, but the spotlight rarely graces you. It also means focusing your gifts where they are needed and having the courage to step up, making yourself available to the greater community. If you abstract the idea a bit, you can see how this applies to individual leadership, group leadership, community leadership, etc and so on. Whether it is a person lending their experience and skills with web design and Internet culture to local churches (as I hope to do), or a Christian university showing Christ's love to a minority group when other institutions persecute them (Soulforce visits ACU -- check out Equality Ride for accounts of how other universities have treated them), leading from the margins can make a big impact with what seems like very little effort.

Anyway, I would recommend reading the articles if you have time:
[
Leading from the Margins: Part I - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII ]

As always, I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Personally, leadership has always been something I've struggled with. I often find myself torn between a deeply felt calling to lead in certain endeavors and subconscious doubts about my ability to succeed. I suppose it is a bit like Moses (Exodus 4:1-17), "I hear what you are asking me to do God, but you aren't listening to me. I don't think I can do this! Surely, you want some one else! I'll help of course, but I'm just not the man for the job!" And probably just like Moses, I know it means relying on God to lead me through it, but sometimes we all are just a little bit stubborn there.

You know what I mean?

2 comments:

April 01, 2006 8:27 AM , Debi:

I have felt similar to how you've felt about "leadership". I, too, have been told I'd be a good leader, but I struggle with feeling incompetent, insecure, or that someone else would surely do a better job than I would. Then, after 'sitting back' and watching, realize that I really could have added something more than what was there in my absence, since I was 'sitting back' and to afraid to get involved.

I posted a blog this morning, before I visited your site, that seems to be somewhat related to this topic. It's based on a quote regarding "Praying for Strength". If you have a chance to read it, I'd be interested in your perspective. http://debisstory.blogspot.com/2006/04/praying-for-strength_01.html

As always, thanks for getting me thinking.

 

April 01, 2006 3:10 PM , Anonymous:

Ah, leadership, an elusive quality that demands much and rewards so little in the eyes of many. It can also be a lonely position since it is the leader that must have vision, the ability to impart that vision to those who follow, confidence in self, the stamina to continually lift up those in need, the wisdom to make hard choices because they are right and the internal strength and integrity to withstand the onslaught of obstacles and naysayers so that the vision is achieved. To the person that leads the rewards most often are not the external accolades, but rather the internal satisfaction and growth that comes about.
My brother in-law recently passed away after an almost 9 year battle with cancer. When I first met him he was to me a quiet and reserved man, one who sat on the sidelines. I have since learned how he grew and became a leader and mentor to many even while struggling with his cancer. So your topic on leadership is timely. To him leadership was also about being pragmatic, telling it like it is not as we wish it and living life to the fullest. At his memorial service I had the privelege of reading many emails sent to my sister telling of his impact on their lives. After reading them and reflecting for a while, I added my thoughts - here was a man who blossomed into a leader and into life itself. He was like the desert flower that even in adversity still survives to blossom and show us its beauty. His message to others was don't sit back, rather do get involved and share life with others.