[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

the backdraft of knowledge

An interesting topic has crossed my radar recently: knowledge. Generally, we as a society are proud of knowledge and reward those that demonstrate it and its application best. We strive for academic degrees and certifications that validate our knowledge, and in return the job market opens up to those who succeed in that quest. Overall, this is a good thing and the reason our world is as technologically and economically advanced as it is today. As new technologies become more mainstream, it becomes necessary for them to have a certified safe track record for the vast majority to accept them as a way of life. However, getting that seal of approval requires a lot of research and testing, often it takes years.

That is why I find it a bit odd that we often find ourselves using that same logic when it comes to faith and our beliefs. Sometimes we can discount the ideas of a person who is uneducated in the inner workings of Christianity. We throw around terms like Christology, exegesis, hermeneutics, and eschatology expecting that people who really know what they are talking about must know and understand them. I'm not perfect, nor have I claimed to be, and I too have been caught in this before. I would think to myself, "well that person really never dug into the scripture and they don't really understand it like I do." However, I can usually step back later and try to understand the other point of view; I still may not agree, but it doesn't bother me since I can usually walk away (shaking the dust from my feet so to speak).

I read an article over at ginkworld.net by John O'Keefe, The Blue Card Christian, and this is the type of attitude about knowledge that really upsets me. That attitude takes our societies value of formal knowledge and applies it to faith which is much more personal. I've also been in some discussions over at Christian Forums where ideas or comments are given no weight if one cannot show or prove your credentials. Sadly, it is this kind of behavior and response that sheds an elitist light on the church.

Now that I have thoroughly bashed the concept of higher education in the Christian context, let me say that having had some of this academic exposure has helped me in my walk. I look at these theories, concepts, and research techniques as tools that I keep in my belt for when I have questions. I like to think of them like a Swiss army knife: it folds up neatly and stores in a small pouch so that it is a discrete addition to your wardrobe, not a big flashy medallion or oversized belt buckle. I particularly like these lyrics, as I feel they relate very well, they are from Switchfoot's song Gone:

Life is more than money
Time was never money
Time was never cash
Life is still more than girls
Life is more than hundred-dollar bills and roto-tom fills
Life is more than fame and rock and roll and thrills
All the riches of the kings end up in wills
We've got information in the information age
But do we know what life is, outside of our convenient Lexus cages?

She said he said live like no tomorrow
Every moment that we borrow brings us closer to the god that's not short of cash!
Sometimes, we let that knowledge take over to the point that we brazenly open every door we come to expecting to have all the answers. Only sometimes we open a door that blows up in our face, like a backdraft of flames.

0 comments: