[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Friday, February 11, 2005

blinded by the sun

I went out for my usual walk today as it was a fairly nice day: a little cold, a little windy, and the sun was in my eyes. Now I can't read very well because of a multicolored distortion in my vision, no doubt due to the sun's rays being reflected into my eyes for an extended period (Note to self: replace broken sunglasses sooner rather than later). Nothing serious, just like a larger version of that after-image you get when someone takes your picture with that red-eye reducing, epilepsy inducing flash. And then it hit me, it is really hard to focus on what you are doing and do it right when you can't see properly. And everyone who wears glasses smacks their head, "Duh! I could have told you that!" However, that's not what I am talking about, and for your information I wear glasses for reading and working on the computer. It reminded me of this passage (Luke 6:41-42):

Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, “Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye,” when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.
So I asked myself a similar question. "Am I sure that my vision is clear where my journey of faith is concerned? When discussing matters of faith with others, am I unaware of my own shortcomings or errors while I address theirs?" I certainly hope not, I think that I try to put myself in their position before I speak and verify that what I am doing or saying is valid and true to being a follower of Christ. Well, my temporary vision problem has cleared up, reading and typing are much easier now... but it sure made me think.

0 comments: