[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Monday, January 30, 2006

milestone reflection

A milestone has passed this month, and it passed rather uneventfully and unbeknownst to me. I have officially been blogging for over a year. What started as a way to reach out to people and discuss anything emergent due to my introduction to a few new authors, has since twisted and changed into a way for me to share my spiritual journey, ideas, and questions. Over time the experience has also made it easier for me to express my thoughts in writing, and sometimes with a creative or poetic flourish - well creative anyway, my poetry has always sucked.

Now with a year behind me, and at a new station in my spiritual life, I've decided that it is time to take stock. This is partly due to a rather eye-opening post by Josh over at Stupid Church People, he talks about his current status in his church detox and church relationship in general - Checking In. I've actually felt quite a bit of what he is talking about lately, though perhaps without quite as much intensity. So anyway, without further rambling, let's go through a checklist of sorts:

  • Worship attendance? Sporadic - and apathetic about changing.
  • Prayer life? Sporadic - and still feeling awkward at times, also seeking some kind of validation or something.
  • Small group? None - and still none to be found that I feel compelled to join, yet starting one intimidates me.
  • Bible study/devotional? Still can't stand them and see no point in joining them. Been there, done that.
  • Overall church involvement? Hard to be involved when the only opportunities are the typical Sunday morning worship roles, which I'm not real keen on taking up.
  • Spiritual relationships? Same - talking with some, blogging infrequently, trying to help others without being pushy.
  • Spiritual health? Idling - I seem to be at a new crossroads, can't go back the way I came, but utterly lost as to where I am supposed to go from here.
I honestly just don't know where to go from here, but I have a sneaking suspicion the resolution lies somewhere in taking new steps in some other part of my spiritual life. I might need to work on attempting Gateway's 60/60 experiment which is part of their Way of Christ series, but I am not real certain on that front. We shall see...

1 comments:

February 03, 2006 9:25 PM , Mike Lewis:

Congrats on the 1-year-mark!