[faith]
[hope]
[love]

Sunday, February 05, 2006

self-restraint

This morning, in the course of perusing my usual blog-haunts, I came across a link to another new blog which was a satirical post about how some long-standing Christians can appear to outsiders (and that is a very brief overview, and probably leaves out much). However, the most intriguing thing was that I knew the blog's author - as in seen him, chatted briefly, and shaken hands with him. And while I have not chronicled all that has transpired in that church community's growth, he is the subject of one of my own posts. I was navigating around his relatively new site, when I saw his entry from yesterday.

Coming Full Circle -- Will Spina

-- Update -- it appears the page has been taken down. Through the magic of the Internet, I have retained a copy for my own records (a gentle reminder to myself if you will), but I will not be re-posting it anywhere. However, if you still wish to do so, please feel free to read my post from last Easter and let me know your thoughts and comments concerning the overall tone and content - i.e. was I harsh, critical, generous, neutral, etc?

Below is a link to the post of mine which the above entry talks about. I urge you to read them both, in which ever order you so choose, and please leave me a comment with your thoughts. I will say only this - in my entry, no where do I claim to be perfect, no where do I state anything other than my own observations and the reactions of those I personally spoke with.

highlighting the elusive blindspot

I need some outside perspective on this from those who read what I write on a regular basis. And in case you were wondering, no I do not intend to then take the reactions (however they turn out) and formulate some kind of response article.

---

On a lighter note -- enjoy the Super Bowl, if that is something you plan to watch! I for one will be enjoying the game and the company of good friends.
Cheers!

3 comments:

February 06, 2006 8:38 PM , Debi:

Jamie -

I remember reading that post originally, and do not think you were harsh at all; you simply stated your experience and how that also affected your wife. As you know, I've had similar types of experiences in the churches of Christ. If they want to keep (or gain) more people for Christ, they need to be aware of these blindspots (we all need to be aware of our blindspots) -- they were not welcoming to you or especially your wife. Judgemental statements like that have no use at all in sermons. Afterall, who are we to judge ... only God can do that. Also, one needs to realize that they cannot assume that they are right and someone else is wrong ... we'll only know for sure when we're called home to heaven.

God Bless!
-Debi

 

February 06, 2006 9:09 PM , James:

Thanks Debi... this particular situation was for me a bit on the tenuous side. Not for any kind of exposed or hand caught in the cookie jar kind of reaction, but because of the history I have with that particular community of believers. I think about them often, and I find joy in any good news I hear about their growth, so it obviously pains me when at times I see what in my opinion is a less than loving attitude.

While I have had great support from a very close friend of mine concerning this particular situation (sentiments that echo yours), I did do some soul searching to ensure that I wrote not from bitternes - but love. While I'm sure if effort was put in, a few board-feet of lumber could be found in my eye (as I am far from perfect and am still looking for answers to my own questions), I try my best if opportunity presents itself to provide my sometimes unique perspective on things.

Thanks for reading! I should have some interesting things to talk about (unrelated to this post) bubbling back to the surface in a few days.

 

February 07, 2006 8:51 AM , Anonymous:

James,

Read your past blog and the new one on self-restraint. Having sat next to you and Claire at that particular service, I too was concerned about the tenor of the sermon and was very sensitive to the words said, knowing Claire's faith. I did talk briefly to Claire afterward and she did not express quite the same feelings. I am certain that she did not want to share her hurt with me, which I can understand. Sorry that it happened. As you know we only want the best for the two of you.
Regarding your initial blog article I would have agree with Debi and say it was expressed from the heart and clearly presented your concerns. You do adequately express that it is your opinion. I did particularly like your use of the lense analogy in describing blind spots as smudges that obstruct our view of things. The interesting thing about smudges is that they can be thick and totally obscure our vision or they can be thin and partially transparent in a way that distorts our view of reality. I think that you will find all of us have lenses that are smudged. These smudges, which are based upon our life experiences, color and distort every thing we see and hence influence our interpretation of new life experiences. They are in essence filters. Recognizing that we each have them is good and hopefully, helps each of us become more tolerant and maybe even provide insight into how to address others when issues such as the Easter Service arise.
All we can ask is that you not let the past experiences become too big a negative and recognize that while other people will fail, God will not. Also it is our one on one relationship with our personal God and Savior that is most important. Keep searching and keep loving. You are special, a one of a kind and most loved.